Sunday, November 25, 2012

My empire of dirt

There are people in this world who will literally suck all the life out of you to get what they want. Unfortunately we can't always get away from them, due to extenuating circumstances. You either chose to let them suck the life out of you, or chose to take each experience with a grain of salt and try not to give in.
Every once in a while I feel like I have lived my whole life this way, always giving in to others needs and taking nothing for myself. I've let the people I love and care about the most suck my heart and soul out of me, leaving an empty slate for anyone else who comes along. Its sad really, that until I turned 28 I had no clue what was happening. Twenty eight years of my life, that's my lifetime!
About a month ago I realized it was time to start living for myself. I'm not sure what happened really, but something inside of me wanted a change, and something inside of me knew it could change. You see, it's easy to avoid those types of people if they aren't your family, not so easy when they are.
I have a son who loves me, a husband who would do anything for me, a house I can call mine, a job, an education. I have  life of my own. I can't continue to let others suck what life I have left. So as I write this, and if you read this, no one says it better than Johnny Cash: you can have it all, my empire of dirt - because up to this point, that's all I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment