Monday, November 5, 2012

Angels vs Demons

I was once told 'Everyone fights demons. Everyone has an inner demon'. That may be a false statement for you, but the more life I witness, the more I believe this statement. At times, we all face a darkness that seems to consume our every movement, our every thought, our state of being. Couldn't this be called a demon? Something that tries to bring us to our knees, something that can make life so difficult getting out of bed seems unrealistic? My favorite definition of the word 'demon' is 'an evil passion or influence'. If I am the only person that has experienced this, then Lord help me! These dark times for me started when I was a young teenager, possibly middle school. I haven't been able to pinpoint an exact time or event, I just remember it coming over me like a dark cloud. Yes, another word for this could be depression. However, during these times I would always remember the song "Oh be careful little eyes what you see, oh be careful little ears what you hear". It seemed everything was much more influential during these times: music, friends, parents. As I've gotten older I've learned to surround myself with the positive things in life, but lets face it, one can't always be positive. That inner demon finds its way up every now and then. There are people who have never experienced depression, and for those of you who are reading this that haven't, you're not missing out on anything, really. Scientifically, it just means all your juices are flowing the way they should be :). There are skeptics who say its all in our heads or we control how we feel, but that really isn't the case. As I mentioned above, I've lived long enough to realize the statement is true. Not every person deals with depression, but everyone at some point has an inner demon they must fight. Some win, some lose. The good news is most people don't have to fight this on their own. Family, friends, siblings, spouses, neighbors, counselors, doctors, etc are all there to help people out during times of need. I call these people Angels. Whether you reach out, or keep it buried inside, someone is always there to comfort you. The definition of an angel is this: a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness. All I can say is, thank goodness there are kind people on this earth for me to share my burdens with.  If you are going through something, there are people out there that care about you, open up, let it out, after all, that's why God put angels on this earth.

I realize this isn't my typical post, but I've started a 10 day challenge for myself. Ten days of blogging, ten days of eating better, ten days of consistent exercise, which means ten days of turning my blog into 'my journal'. Writing about whatever is on mind. I only want to continue to better myself for my son, my family. Taking care of me is where it starts. This may be Microsoft word material, filed away and locked up tight, but why hide? I've hidden for too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment